Our Summer Program
Bala Cynwyd School provides children with a multitude of fun experiences
that enrich learning and keep them busy and happy.
Our on-site pool provides hours of refreshing play and was designed specifically for young children who are at least 3 years and toilet-trained. Small group swimming lessons are taught by two certified swimming instructors.
Every week has a “Fun Friday” during the summer. Special events include:
- Carnival Day with a bounce house and face painting
- Western Day with pony rides
- Music Day with a special performance by a local children’s band
- Olympic Day where everyone takes home a medal
- Science Day with explosively fun experiments
- Camping Week & Pajama Day with camp stories in an outdoor tent and pretend campfire
- A Bee Keeping Presentation from a local farm
The spacious playgrounds provide lots of time for outdoor free-play and opportunities to swing, climb, slide, clatter on the bridge, slide down a fire pole, run, jump, build, explore sand and water, and to hone physical skills and facilitate priceless social interactions. The grounds include two basketball hoops, soccer net, and volleyball net for instructed game play, along with a space for regular bike races on tricycles and two-wheelers.
IN THE CLASSROOM:
In well-equipped, air-conditioned classrooms, everyday learning center activities include:
- Music and movement
- Art and messy activities
- Science and nature experiences
- Explorations number and math concepts
Many of the activities revolve around curriculum topics such as birds, ocean life, plants, trees & leaves, and nursery rhymes.
KidNetics conducts a weekly lesson on calisthenics and gross motor skills using movement concepts that allow children to experience physical exercise in a fun setting. Additionally, Total Sports will provide a great weekly opportunity for the children to develop athletic skills and knowledge in a wide variety of competitive sports like soccer, basketball, hockey, and lacrosse.
Our staff, including many certified teachers, continues to work throughout the summer, providing mature guidance and developmentally appropriate activities.
Our Graduates is a program for children going on to 1st grade in the fall. Students spend the summer focused on a project approach unit of study such as Costa Rica or the rainforest. The children help select a topic of interest, then research and study it throughout the summer.
* Children aged 2-years and under do not participate in all summer activities.